Friday, December 19, 2008

One Week and Counting

It has been one week since I was transported home from St. Vincent's. This has been an experience worth commenting on to be sure. Moreover, I have at least three more weeks of the same to look forward to--three weeks including Christmas and New Years. Rah!

Day by day not much changes. Jerry is great about bringing me the paper and my morning orange juice. I have been dressing--I think that is helpful in bringing a certain amount of normalcy to this routine. Today I actually sat at the kitchen table for brunch (left-over Michigan macaroni. Yum!) The PT who came on Wednesday suggested I get up and move around on my scooter.

Today I actually entertained a couple of friends in the living room. That's what moving around on my scooter means! It was nice to sit in a real chair rather than on the bed or the Lazy Boy!

All of this is meant to point out that, even though I am still pretty limited, I can get around and do a few things, more and more every day. I am really grateful for this situation--inconvenience and all! When I was in Israel we walked--MARCHED!!--everywhere. It was painful to say the least. And I was well aware that, had I been alive in Jesus' time, I would have had to walk with all that pain ALL THE TIME, or not walk at all. OR, I could have sought out Jesus and asked him to touch me and heal me. But that would have been only if I had been in the same place at the same time as he was. Honestly, I felt the hopelessness that folks must feel when they found they were crippled or otherwise handicapped. I can remember thinking how fortunate I was to be able to anticipate going home and having this surgery. God's timing is pretty good after all (Jeremiah 29:11)!

So I hop around here or flop into a chair and elevate my leg (to remind me not to put any weight on it.) And I thank God for the surgeons and the cast technician (who put a racy "cast cap" on my toes) and Jerry and his loving care. I am blessed. And then someone calls to tell me she is thinking about me and praying for me and I am blessed even more!

No comments: